Saint John’s Church Clonmellon County Westmeath
2015 – 2017
Detached three-bay Church of Ireland church with attached two-stage tower on square-plan to east with a crenellated parapet and clasping corner buttresses, built c.1790 and remodeled c.1820.
Pitched natural slate roof with clay ridge tiles, cast-iron rainwater goods and raised verges with cut stone coping.
Roughcast rendered walls over cut stone plinth with cut stone detailing.
Pointed-arch window openings to south side of nave with Y-tracery and latticed glass, no openings to north side of nave.
Triple-light window with intersecting tracery and latticed glass to chancel gable, pointed-arched windows either side of tower on entrance front (east).
Pointed-arched door opening to north side of tower with timber sheeted double-doors.
Pointed-arched openings with louvered vents to belfry.
Works Carried Out
- Extensive refurbishment of the church and grounds including the reinstated roof on the belfry and bell in the tower.
- Re-roof with blue banger slates, new windows and doors and re-plastered internal and externally using lime render and fitted new cast aluminium gutters and downpipes.
- Extensive landscaping which includes a cast iron gazebo garden temple.